Friday, July 18, 2008

For Emma, Forever Ago ***1/2

Bon Iver

2008 Aprilbase Publishing
Recorded by Justin Vernon in the hunting cabin, Northwest Wisconsin
Label - Jagjaguwar

Justin Vernon - Most sounds on CD except:
John Dehaven - Trumpet on "Forever"
Rudy Pingrey - Trombone on "Forever"
Christy Smith - Drums and sang on "Flume"

This CD has been getting lots of critical acclaim. I listened to it at a listening station before buying it and I said to myself, "Maybe". I wasn't sure because it is a pretty mellow CD. At least the snippets I heard were pretty mellow. The problem with listening to snippets of music is that it is hard to get a good feeling for the music that you would get when listening to the entire piece. I imagine I might have passed up on some great music just because I couldn't engage suffieciently enough in the 30 seconds allotted time per song.

Normally I stay away from the real slow stuff. I kind of like my music to be mid tempo. Not too mellow, but not too rocking. I like a fuller sound with a variety of instruments. I'm not a big fan of a guy and his guitar and I have outgrown the real rocking stuff. But even though this was mellow, it sounded "catchy" enough to not disregard it immediately, and I put it back in the rack for further consideration. The great reviews kept coming in and with coupon in hand, I told myself, "Why Not?" It would make good music to go to sleep by.

Here is the story. Apparently, Justin Vernon, a musician with another group which I can't recall, had broken up with his girlfriend and retreated to his family cabin in Wisconsin. This CD is the result of his pain. While it's mellow, the songs are still catchy enough and there is enough instrumentation, though minimal, to keep my interest. It reminds me of Micah P. Hinson with a higher voice or even of Bonnie "Prince" Billy with his ability to write engaging songs. I am definitely satisfied to have bought it.

I finally figured out how to add music. The videos are nothing - just lisen to the music.

The Songs:

Flume **** - It typically starts out with an acoustic guitar. There are some sounds scattered through out the song that are background and add to the music without being distracting. A little bass drum kicks in. One of the best cuts on the CD. There is an interlude of some noisy sound effects. Not sure why that was put in there, but it is short lived. The lyrics are fairly oblique. There is no story here, but the imagery and language is beautiful. It's about love, it's about his mother, "I am my mother on the wall, with us all". There is a nice alliteration too, "lapping lakes like leery loons". What ever that means.



Lump Sum **1/2 - This starts out wit a little choral piece, almost medieval. Then the the guitar and bass drum kicks in. It has a kind of repetitive, shuffling sound. It is faster paced than the previous song. The lyrics are almost impossible to decipher here also. It starts out with the narrator "selling" some things.



Skinny Love **** - This starts with more acoustic guitar. He sings the lyrics in a interesting catchy way. Then the drum (bass) kicks in. A very catchy start to the song. The chorus is kind of a departure from his other singing. Most of it is sung in his high voice, but the chorus where he sings, "I told you..." is sung with more emotion. It's effective. Skinny love is a love that is not strong. While this one's a little easier to figure out what he's saying, it's still not easy. Seems to be an angry, bitter song - "staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer". Most probably, it's a song about his breakup.



Wolves (Act I and II)*** - This one starts out slower. Just a slow, acoustic guitar. The vocals are sung in harmony or at least it seems that way. With his high voice it I could be hearing wrong. According to the credits, there is no one else singing on this song. Of course it could be studio magic. The first half of the song stays pretty mellow, but pretty (probably act I). As I write this the pace does start to pick up (probably act II). Lyrically the song is about his pain and blame (I assume his old lover) and the wolves are around her perhaps protecting her, or perhaps she is unaware of how bad the new people around her are. Or at least that what he thinks.



Blindsided ***1/2- Starts with some electronic noises then a rhythmic guitar comes in. The song slows down for a chorus? (not really sure if it is a chorus, but it definitely changes tempo and and has chorus like catchiness. The lyrics seem to refer to his being blindsided (duh) but he also seems to be trying to see what is happening, yet unsuccessfully, so he is blind to what is happening."I crouch like a crow / contrasting the snow / for the agony, I'd rather know / cause blinded I am blindsided". Apparently the evil he knows is better than the evil he does not know as the saying goes. Again a very nice song. Mellow yet one can still tap their toes to it. For all my eclectic tastes in music, basically, I still need something to which I can tap my toes.



Creature Fear *** - This starts with vocals, a kind of 50's "oooh, ooh, ooh" though prettied up and with elongated oohs. Then the song changes to guitar and voice with a little snare drum. Suddenly, the most rocking part comes, briefly. So it looks if this is going to be one of those slow / fast cycle songs. The fast part is probably the catchier part ( I know, I am over using that word). The creature fear seems to be about their relationship.



Team **1/2 - This song is a little harder. I swear I hear some bass, though there are no credits for it. It could be his computer. I even hear an electric guitar. The bass carries the rhythm, and the drums have a kind of marching sound. This is an instrumental except for some whistles. Nice over all.



For Emma**** - This is also a more up beat song, with some horns and apparently a complete drum kit. This song is written as a play with characters.. There's the narrator, him and her. Though it's a very short play - no more than 12 lines. Her seems to be complaining. "Go find another lover...". The instrumental has the horns taking some nice solo parts.



Re:Stacks**** - This is the longest song coming in at about 6:30. It starts with guitar. This is one of those pretty ones. The chorus is quite nice with some rhyming language that he sings quite nicely, "On your back with your racks as you stack your load" He kind of sings it quickly and the 'ck' sounds have a percussive sound.



I had to change my original rating from 3 to 3 1/2 stars. As I listened to it, I realized how beautiful it was. It's not party music. It's music to chill out to, to spend a lazy day with your favorite girl. I think it's earned all the hype it's gotten.

No comments: