Monday, August 4, 2008

The Brooklyn Follies ***

By Paul Auster
2006
Published by Henry Holt & Company
306 pages

Paul Auster is one of my favorite authors. This book is advertised as his most uplifting book. His other books do have darker subject matter. Not that this book doesn't have dark moments, it most definitely does, but everything turns out OK in the end. Every one is content. Not fabulously rich and famous - but content.

The narrator, Nathan Glass is a 60 year old divorced man, who has been diagnosed with a disease that would kill him in the year. So he moves to his childhood home of Brooklyn and decides to write all the little stories he could think of that happened in his life that, usually, humorously don't turn out quite right - hence Brooklyn FOLLIES. But then life starts to happen to him.

He meets up with his brilliant nephew, Tom, who is not doing as well as hoped and who is down in the dumps working in a used book store. His niece, is a wild and out of control girl who they are constantly worried about and they befriend the owner of the bookstore, Harry, who has a mysterious and shady past. Well Harry has a plan and the narrative takes off from there.

I really enjoyed this book, as I do all Auster's books. His characters are quirky and likable. And like I said previously, the story is pretty positive. I felt myself well up a couple of times, of course I am a sucker for long distance telephone commercials, so my welling up isn't saying much. But ti wasn't sappy. This book came at a good time in my life in which there is a lot of darkness in my life. I have been much more upbeat in the last couple of weeks (though I do have a tendency to enjoy wallowing in my misery). It helped me get to the point where I am ready to continue with my life.

So that last question I need to answer for myself is why is it not a 4 star book - A masterpiece. I am always a little suspicious of literature that is too easy or too light. I am not suggesting that this is a light book, but it is compared to Auster's other work.

No comments: